Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Our new guests - Rudy & Wojtek



Yes it's true we have two cats staying in our apartment! Our landlord is giving us free rent for watching her cats for three months while she is gone in Europe. It was an offer that we couldn't refuse.
Although I love Rudy & Wojtek, it has been quite an adventure thus far. Wojtek got a UTI after only being with us for a few weeks. This unfortunately caused him to pee on our floors. Of course the place he chooses to do this at is right by the front door. (Nothing more inviting for our guests than the smell of pee!) So if anyone has any suggestions of how to get the odor out of the carpet let me know, because if you know anything about cats if they can smell pee, they keep going in the same spot! Rob and I have tried just about everything (vinegar, many cleaners, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda).
Taking Wojtek to the vet was an interesting experience as well. He did not want to get in the box! Rob with his redneck skills got some nasty scratches and bite marks. (After showing Rob that grabbing him by the neck skin is more helpful, I am now addressed as the Cat Whisperer.) Rob has got it down now and we give Wojtek medicine twice a day. (Rob really has been so helpful in the whole experience and his car detailing experience is really paying off with the carpet cleaning.)
They also like to meow a lot at night. I'm not quite sure what this is all about but I feel like I have a newborn baby. It definitely makes for some restless nights.
But we do love them. I think Eliza likes feeling like she is in charge of someone. She gets so excited whenever they come out to the living room. And she is quite on top of their bowel movements. She always is sure to announce if there is poo in the litter box.
Liberty is.... well I'm not sure if she likes them or not. I think the cats are more scared of her than she is of them. Everytime they get close to her she starts screaming, but not crying. Lately, when they walk away she will try to follow them. I think she is just very curious about them. I swear today she said "Kitty" it at least sounded just like it and it was when the cat got close to her.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

EEEEWWW gross Abby! CATS?!?!?! My Mama has made me a cat-hater and Kaiden's allergies have made being one even easier. That sucks it peed everywhere, hopefully it will come out. I don't really have any suggestions...all the ones I would have tried, you already tried, so sorry. We miss you guys...love you all!!! (from Kaiden and me too!)