Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day at the Park teaches a great lesson




So today we went to the park with the Teemants. It was such a beautiful day. (We even got kind of sunburned.)
While playing a city worker came by to dump some wood chips into the park play area. He backed into the area and dumped the wood chips. During this he had tried to move forward and the wheels just sunk into the ground. Long story short he got himself completely stuck in woodchips/mud. There were like four other families there (including 2 men) and we all just stood and watched as this man kept trying to get himself unstuck. I felt so laim just standing there watching, but I thought there are men here who will probably help, this guy doesn't want some girl to help, and I have kids to watch. I kept thinkin' "man I wish Rob was here, he would definitely go help this guy and most likely get him unstuck. I started talking to Amy about this and she agreed that her husband would do the same and that we were surprised these guys weren't helping. The man continued his attempt to get unstuck and finally we decided to approach him and see if he wanted help. He was more than happy to have some help. On the first try I thought we were going to get him out, but we didn't and it seemed to get worse after that. Another guy came over to help after a few tries but then said he didn't think the pushing was helping. So we abandoned the pushing. The truck was making slow progress, but progress.
Then these two guys dressed in all black with big chains and many peircings came by and asked if the truck driver wanted help. Again the driver was happy to have some help. It was so impressive these guys were the ones to assert themselves and offer to help. (They had walked by earlier before the truck had gotten stuck and I remember double checking to make sure I knew were Eliza was.) With their help the truck still couldn't get out. Finally a guy dressed in army clothes stopped by and had a big truck to tow the dump truck out. Everyone shouted hooray. There was a quite a large hole now in the playground and Eliza had brought her gardening tools, so the kids went to work repairing the playground. (see pictures)
Me and Amy chatted about what a good lesson this was on judging. The two guys who I would have thought to be the least likely to help were actually the ones who did and seemed so kind. After learning that I thought I probably shouldn't have judged the men who didn't help, maybe they had health problems or something and couldn't help.
It also was a good lesson about not waiting around to help and being sexist about it. I should have offered help much earlier and not have left it up to someone else, thinking they should offer. It was a great day. (I wish I could have described this in a more interesting way with less rambling, but I'm not that good of a writer. I just want to be able to remember this great moment of learning.)

5 comments:

Ami said...

I can't believe Eliza and the Teemant's kids are so big! That is crazy. Of course, I was still pregnant when we moved and I now have a 17-month-old. Crazy how time flies. Joel and I were just talking about how we'd really like to hang out with you guys again soon. Let's plan something.

Diamonds Are Forever said...

Way to jump in and help Abby. It is so true about judging a book ny it's cover. I have learned that through the guys that Taylor has been dating. The ones that I thought looked not quite right are the ones who treat her the best.

Desiree said...

So is it time to get Eliza some body piercings? =)

Anonymous said...

You always tell your stories WELL!!! That is a good story for me, because often I see guys who need help and i think he probably doesn't want help from a girl...or i'm not really dressed to help him. But from now on...(because of your story Abby) I will help those men i see in need.

celeste said...

where are the real manly men these days? Send a women if you want it done!