Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Gratitude for Electricity



Last night for family night we turned of the electricity to our house to help us have gratitude towards some of the many blessing the Lord gives us such as electricity. This is a long time family tradition in the Stevenson family and I think it is one that we will continue in ours.
I was planning on just not using the lights but when we got home Rob had turned off the power. It was actually a better experience because it kind of got a little colder and it made me even more grateful to have electricity and have a warm home. As a kid I remember having this night and thinking it was really fun, and at the beginning I was thinking this is not quite as fun as a parent. It was rather inconvenient while trying to cook dinner.
But Eliza thought it was the coolest thing ever. She was so excited to have her own flashlight and you could just see the glow of happiness on her face. Liberty wasn't so sure whenever we enetered a darker room she would start to cry. I think she thought she was going to bed. It was a little bit funny.
We had a family home evening lesson on the brother Jared when he goes and has the stones touched by the lord to light up the boats. Then played Uno and had fruit snacks for desert. It really ended up being such a fun night. It was nice to kind of slow down. It felt like camping. I swear too that Eliza has had a better attitude since it. She has kind of been going through a difficult phase of testing out her independence and she was so pleasant last night and this morning. It was a great time and I felt like it brought our family closer. Thanks mom and dad for the great idea.

4 comments:

Desiree said...

What a fun idea. Nate has talked about that fun family tradition before, but we haven't tried it ourselves yet.

Brandi said...

Abby, I'm going to steal this idea from you! Well, not steal...I will definitely tell Kaid and Kenn it came from their amazing Aunt Abby...how fun! Can't wait to see you guys!!!

The Killer Bunch said...

What darling girls you have. Eliza is a mini you. And you look fabulous.
-Christy "Hutchison"

Timothy and Nicole said...

I love that idea how fun. I want to use this as well. You have such a good mom and dad.